Thursday, November 27, 2014

Day 2,889: On Turkey Day, bigger fish to fry

I ran in the Atlanta Track Club's Thanksgiving Half Marathon for six years in a row, starting in 2008. This year, however, I skipped the race for two reasons.

The first reason is that I'm planning on running in the Honolulu Marathon in two and a half weeks. In 2010, I tried a "strength of schedule" approach to the Bank of America Chicago Marathon, running in a half marathon and a 10K in the weeks leading up to the 10-10-10 race.

This time, I'm content to finish up what I can of a very, very truncated training program just a month after completing the Marine Corps Marathon and be as fresh as possible for the race.

The second is that I'm also a cheapskate. I didn't see any reason to pay $85 or so to run in a half-marathon when I pretty much did the same thing for free. Today I had a 10-mile tempo run on the schedule, a workout that totals 12 miles with the warmup and cooldown.

My workout brought me alongside the Piedmont Park portion of the race, and while it was cool to see all the runners, I really just needed to focus on my pace.

Still, I wore last year's "ATL Half" shirt in solidarity!

Time: 8:31 a.m.
Temp: 39 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long x2 (Atlanta Half Marathon 2013, Nike grey), shorts, Skechers Go Run 3.


No comments: