Sunday, August 17, 2014

Day 2,796: Running in Munich


MUNICH, Germany -- There was a 10-mile run on my marathon training schedule for Sunday. Only I was far away from home in Germany and I didn't even know what it would be like to run on the roads.

Luckily we were staying at a hotel near the airport, which is nestled in the countryside along farm roads. I set out nearly an hour before sunrise, pretty much running in the dark along one of those farm roads. The weather was pretty cool and felt wonderful.

Even at that hour, planes were landing at this busy airport. When it got lighter along my run, you could see places where they even put in benches for planespotters.


The area was pretty flat, which also was good for the run. I basically made it a 5-mile out, 5-mile back run and I was back before I knew it. The new shoes were great again and I guess there will be a little bit of competition to see whether I run in my Nike Air Pegasus+ 31s or those.

It turned out to be the longest run that I've done outside the United States, surpassing a 7.62-mile run with the wife on Dec. 6, 2011 in London.

Time: 5:22 a.m.
Temp: 48 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, short (pathtags), shorts, Saucony Kinvara 2.






No comments: