Friday, August 15, 2014

Day 2,794: The double-switch

Heading into the weekend, I had a dilemma -- as my schedule existed I would have to run 26 miles in 3 days in Munich, Germany.

But then I used a trick in baseball -- the double-switch. Here are the days I needed to rotate:

Schedule: Wednesday, 1 mile run; Friday, easy 6 miles; Saturday, easy 10 miles; Sunday, easy 10 miles.
Switch: Wednesday: Easy 6 miles, Friday, easy 10 miles, Saturday, 1-mile run; Sunday, easy 10 miles.

It turned out to work very well. I ran 6-miles on Wednesday, just a day after doing my interval workout. Then on Friday, after doing my 7-mile tempo run (9 miles total), I did a 10-mile run that took me downtown to the famous spot of where Rick Grimes enters the city of Atlanta on horseback.

I did that run using my new Saucony Kinvara 2 trainers. They felt extremely great out of the box and it was that performance that earned them a ticket to Germany for my overseas running.

It also was fortunate that I scheduled myself only a 1-mile run on Saturday. After taking a 9-hour redeye flight from Atlanta, I was pretty tired and not really wanting to do a longer run. We really didn't have the time anyway to stop for more than that, since we also did a road trip to the Czech Republic.

Time: 7:07 a.m.
Temp: 62 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, short (Publix Georgia Marathon/Half Marathon promo), shorts, Saucony Kinvara 2.


No comments: