Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 1,629: The proposal, a year later

A year ago today I proposed to my then-girlfriend after we ran to the top of one of the hardest hills in the city.

It's one of those unforgettable life experiences that has led to even better things, including our marriage last month.

A few weeks later it led to my fastest Peachtree 10K time, 48:14. In October, I ran a marathon PR, 4:06:23, in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.

In November, I set a 5K PR of 22:20 at the Race2Recycle in Piedmont Park and this past February I set a 10K PR of 46:34 at the Charles Harris Run in Tucker.

We've done races on the road -- the Rock'n'Roll half marathons in Chicago, Las Vegas and San Diego. And twice we've done the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler in Washington.

From year to year it's difficult to say what kind of running you'll be able to put forth. I know this from being a mid-pack runner to no runner at all to a runner again. But I'm thankful for my sweetie for keeping my running enthusiasm going.

--------------------

If I ran right when I woke up I could have taken advantage of temperatures similar to last year when I proposed -- a nice and crisp 71 degrees. When I ended up running, about 8 a.m., it already had climbed to 76 degrees but was still ok for running.

With the Father's Day 4 Mile run tomorrow, I didn't want to push too hard but I still wanted to make sure I got my miles for the week.

So it was an easy route to Whole Foods and then another loop to Freedom Parkway to get the job done.

Time: 8:06 a.m.
Temp: 76 degrees
Gear: Tech T, short (CS yellow), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus 27.

No comments: