Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 1,622: Snakes on the Trail


MABLETON, Ga. -- I was running along the Silver Comet Trail today when I saw a couple of older ladies veer out of the way of what looked like a stick in the middle of the path.

Then one of them turned to the stick, which was wriggling its way across the path, and said, "Go on. You know there are bicyclists coming, don't you?"

In nearly half a year of geocaching and being in the thickest brush imaginable and turning over rocks and logs, this was the first snake I'd seen. And this one out in the open.

We gathered that it was a brown snake. Still it had an asp-like face that would have made me think twice if I saw it in the woods.

Although I came out here in March and found a few 'caches, I hadn't really found caches on the trail in any organized manner.

So last night I looked up where a bunch of caches would be and decided on the first segment from the trailhead to Floyd Road. I decided to park at Floyd Road and run in.

Going out was easy -- there was usually a geocache every .2 or .3 miles or so, with the max .8.

Coming back was interesting -- that meant I had to run about four miles straight, after having run four miles out.

It wasn't bad, the 'Comet has a gradual incline. It was a lot warmer than when I started out so I just had to pace myself. I was happy for a cooler of cold Diet Cokes waiting for me at the end!

No comments: