Friday, May 7, 2010

Day 1,223 London Marathon lottery closed

On Tuesday I applied in the lottery for next April's London Marathon. I had written the lottery start date on my calendar but promptly forgot about it until later that afternoon when I went to work.

I just learned today that the lottery closed quickly, within a day with all 5,500 overseas lottery applicant slots filling up, "in record time," according to the London Marathon website.

I'm 0 for 1 in lotteries, having been "bounced" from the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler lottery.

What I liked about the London Marathon lottery application was that you didn't have to pay money just to apply, as you do for the ING New York City marathon. I'm sure I'll happily play the New York marathon's $10 fee for the lottery in the future but not having to do so is nice.

I'll be notified in early October if I am accepted for the London race, which like the Chicago Marathon is one of the fastest marathon courses in the world.

So if I happen to get into the London Marathon, it'll be a very nice running vacation. If not, there are lots of races in April and given how much fun I had running in the Cherry Blossom Ten-Miler and visiting Washington, I'm sure I'll try to put myself in the running again.

No comments: