Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 1,229: Some rules for races

I'm doing some planning for some upcoming races and it's occurred to me that I need to have some rules in place to help me make a decision.

Case in point -- this Labor Day there are two races I'd like to run in -- the U.S. 10K Classic in the Atlanta suburbs and the Oak Brook Half Marathon in Illinois.

I think the rule I'm going to create for myself is one that involves proximity. When there are two races that I want to do at the same time, I'll pick the closest one to me first.

I made this kind of decision in 2000 when I ran in my first marathon. I had to choose between the Portland Marathon and the Chicago Marathon. In the end, I decided to go with the one that was closer to me. And now, after 10 years, I'm back to do the other one.

------------

Also I'm increasingly thinking of running in the Rock'N'Roll Chicago Half Marathon coming up on Aug. 1. We received the info cards on this and the Sept. 12 Chicago Half Marathon at the ING Georgia Marathon expo but I threw them away.

But now it has an appeal because there's a lot of sights to see and both of these races run along Lake Shore Drive.

------------

Today's run was really late because I was pretty tired. I also procrastinated a bit because I knew it would be hot out -- 88 degrees. But when I finally got out, I found it wasn't too bad. Sure, my shirt stuck to my back. But I'm hoping that I get acclimated to the weather as soon as I can.

Time: 5:15 p.m.
Temp: 88 degrees
Gear: CFLST (13.1 Marathon Atlanta), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26.

No comments: