Saturday, September 26, 2009

CTS 1,000 -- Big Peach Sizzler 10K

CHAMBLEE, Ga. -- Today for my 1,000th consecutive day of running I ran in the Big Peach Sizzler 10K. It used to be called the Buckhead Sizzler.

It was interesting to start at nearly the same place where I started The Weather Channel Atlanta Half-Marathon last Thanksgiving.

I had some ghosts to chase away, namely starting really slow in that race with my muscles locked up.

But in this 10K, it was a different kind of start. It was a little humid. It was also the first race that I'd run with someone in a while. My gf is speedier than I am (she finished in the top 3 percent of female runners) so I told her to just run and not wait up for me and I'll reunite with her at the finish.

When the race started, I totally thought I'd be able to keep up with her. But soon, like a quick rabbit, she bounded through groups of runners and was out of sight.

I kept a pretty nice pace, though. The first two miles have rolling hills but nothing along the lines of what I'm used to in the 'hood, especially running at the gf's faster pace.

I just decided to run as fast as I could -- I picked runners up ahead that I would try to keep up with. It turned out I passed three of those people.

Near the end of the race I really didn't have it in me to kick like I probably should have in the last mile. No excuses really but I was a little congested and just didn't have it in me in today's humidity.

Near the finish line a younger guy was trying to encourage his buddy to finish strong. Instead of passing the buddy, I was encouraging the dude as well. I think that's what sportsmanship is all about.

I finished just a little over the time that would get me into Time Group 1A of the Peachtree -- by 25 seconds. At mile 2 I somehow turned the Hammer of Dawn off, so I didn't have an accurate read on my pace. I'm not too worried because I've made 1A with the Charles Harris 10K in February and I think a cooler race will be enough to get me over the line.

All in all, I'm happy that a nice race like this fell on my milestone day 1,000.

Time: 7:30 a.m.
Temp: 75 degrees, humid
Gear: CFLST (Charles Harris '09), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D4.

No comments: