Friday, May 22, 2009

CTS 873: Summerfest sign-up

Five years ago I signed up for the Virginia-Highland Summerfest "to see where I was at," I told a friend at the time.

I knew where I was at -- a sorry level of training. That February I had qualified for Time Group IA of the Peachtree with a 47 minute time and felt I didn't have to train any more.

June came around and I had hardly run. In the 5K Summerfest race I did my best but really was fatigued in the last mile.

This year, thankfully, I don't have to ask where I'm at. I'm running the hardest hills in the neighborhood by attacking them, not just trying to survive them.

The last hill today, after five other grueling hills, up to the North Highland Post Office, I pretended I was in the Tour.

"Cat, you've got a good pace," I said.

I looked at the Hammer of Dawn. I was running at 7:30. A few moments later, it showed 6:45.

I hope I can keep up this kind of motivation and momentum. I like everything about it so far.

I'm looking forward to another Summerfest shirt.

Time: noon.
Temp: 75 degrees
Gear: SST (Va-Hi Summerfest '04), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D2.

No comments: