Friday, June 12, 2015

Day 3,085 8 x 20-second strides

This morning I decided to incorporate strides into my easy run routine after reading an article about them in Runner's World.

Basically, the article recommended throwing in eight 20-second strides during easy run workouts to be able to better handle changing gears and speeds in a race.

I decided to do four of them after Mile 1 of my workout and the remaining four after Mile 2. When I was doing them, it felt like 20 seconds was such a short amount of time, that it takes me about that long to ramp up to interval workout speed.

My data shows that I ran similar to interval speeds during those short spurts: (5:56, 7:17, 6:46, 6:49, 6:20, 7:19, 6:27, 6:59).

It felt great doing some extra speedwork -- I felt like I was more alert in the run than when I am just trying to slog out four easy miles.

Time: 6:33 a.m.
Temp: 70 degrees (94 percent humidity)
Gear: Technical T-shirt, short (Marine Corps Marathon "Mission Focus"), shorts, Saucony Iso Zealot.

No comments: