Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Day 3,082: 12 x 400 intervals

Today was the first set of intervals for my half-marathon training plan. I came into this workout with a few goals in mind and that was apparently a few goals too many.

In the past I was quite content to run at a 7:17/mile pace for intervals but today I was swinging for the fences, trying to run sub-7 for each one, being recently tantalized by the idea of breaking my new PR of 21:27 with an outside goal of qualifying as a sub-seed for the Peachtree Road Race with a 20:14 or better 5K time.

It was hot and humid and I felt the effects quickly. I went 1:46.2 (7:05/mile), 1:46.4 (7:06/mile), 1:42 (6:48/mile) and 1:31.4 (6:06/mile) for the first mile.

The second mile came and I went 1:49.4 (7:17/mile) and then on the 6th interval felt like I did not want to continue doing 7 more intervals. So I stopped. I've had busted workouts before so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. Next time I might pick a pace that is in between what I hope to do and what I have been doing.

It was fortunate that I stopped, since when I was walking my way around Lake Clara Meer, I looked up at the Active Oval and saw Frank from Running for the second half of my life. I'd never met him before so I walked to where there were steps to enter the oval and quickly introduced myself.

It was a nice way to end a broken workout.

Time: 6:25 a.m.
Temp: 73 degrees (89 percent humidity)
Gear: Technical T-shirt, short (Doug Kessler 10K), shorts, Saucony Type A6.


No comments: