Saturday, March 7, 2015

Day 2,990: 6 x .5 mile intervals (1/4-mile recovery)

Took advantage of a pretty crisp morning to go down to Piedmont Park and continue my intervals. This week it would be six half-mile intervals with a quarter-mile recovery.

When I got to the park cones were already up along the paths for a 5K race. Fortunately, the race didn't start while I was doing my workout!

My pace was a lot slower than in previous weeks. I made myself slow down about halfway through when I felt like one of the joints in my right knee was hurting. And after the run, both of my knees ached a little.

When this happens, it almost always means it's time to retire a pair of shoes. So I guess I'll have to retire my Skechers Go Run 2s, with only 320 miles on them.

My splits:

Mile 1: 7:38, 7:43
Mile 2: 7:51, 8:00
Mile 3: 7:49, 7:15

Not too worried about the slower times since I feel like I would run faster in a race. The 7:15 for the last interval was promising.

Since I'd already run in cool weather two weeks ago for intervals and noted how warm I got, I came prepared for today's 29 degree weather -- I wore shorts today and two long-sleeved technical T-shirts and a windbreaker. By Mile 1, the windbreaker was around my waist and I'd shed one of the T-shirts near the end of the workout.

No comments: