Sunday, September 7, 2014

Day 2,817: 16-mile run

Today was the first of three 16-mile runs I will do for marathon training. After struggling through the 15-mile run two weeks ago I wanted to make sure I was as prepared as possible.

This route I planned with having grocery stores where I could get water every four miles or so and other stores where I could purchase it in between. I also brought five GU gel packs and had a basic strategy of taking the first one after mile 6.

Things basically went according to plan. I stopped just after mile 6 to find a cache and then I drank a little bit of water and ate my first GU gel, one called salted watermelon. It was a little too salty for me and it had a kind of Jolly Rancher aftertaste.

Just after Mile 8 I was in downtown Decatur. I ran past the Big Peach store thinking maybe they would have a water cooler out -- they didn't but no matter, since there was a water fountain that worked in Decatur Square.

I turned up Claremont Avenue. In my original plan (since I didn't know about the Decatur Square water fountain) I would have run to the Kroger here to get water.

I also had planned to stop for water at the Publix store at North Decatur and Clairmont just before mile 10. But my water bottle was full so I didn't cross the street and stop.

At about Mile 10.55 I had another GU gel, Mandarin Orange. It had an ok taste, not really my favorite. About a mile later, at 11.66 at the top of North Decatur and Briarcliff I drank all of my water. I went the next 1.6 miles with an empty bottle until I stopped at the Publix on Ponce (really cold water here!).

Then I finished the last 3 miles in the neighborhood. On Virginia Avenue at mile 14.5, I had my third GU gel, the Tri-Berry flavor that I usually purchase.

I was pretty soaked and had brought a spare shirt but didn't change it during the run. I felt pretty good except the last mile. I made pace in 14 of 16 miles (the first and last miles being slower).

I have to find a way to have more water with me or drink more when I run. Maybe next time I will have to bring out my Camelbak.

Time: 7:19 a.m.
Temp: 72 degrees (94 percent humidity)
Gear: Technical T-shirt, short (Champion grey), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus 31.

No comments: