Thursday, September 4, 2014

Day 2,814: The stroller + toddler speed test

I'd read somewhere that every extra pound you have costs you two seconds per mile. I was able to test that wisdom today dropping off the little guy to preschool and then running some more on a 7-mile run.

My data showed that on this easy run, I ran about a 12-minute mile for 3.5 miles with a 25-pound BOB stroller and a 25-pound toddler.

When I dropped him off, I ran another mile (to drop off the stroller) and I ran an 11-minute mile. It was actually pretty hard to run with an empty stroller. The front wheel kept on wanting to jump up all the time.

After I put away the stroller, my last 2.5 miles were in the 9:30-10 minute mile range.

I guess it seems obvious the more weight you have on you, the slower it's going to be pushing it all around.

Time: 8 a.m.
Temp: 72 degrees (94 percent humidity)
Gear: Technical T-shirt, short (Publix Georgia Half Marathon 2014), shorts, Saucony Kinvara 5.




No comments: