Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 1,549: Arabia Mountain PATH Trail (Panola Mountain to Lyons House)

A view of Panola Mountain from the Arabia Mountain PATH Trail

STOCKBRIDGE, Ga. -- Today I decided to return to Panola Mountain State Park to run along the Arabia Mountain PATH trail in search of a few geocaches.

I didn't have a lot of time before I had to return to go to work and I actually made that time tighter by missing the turn from Snapfinger Road to Alexander Lake Road.

But I got there and put out my Georgia State Park Pass, which I've used seven times (or $35 in parking fees) since I bought it at Sweetwater Creek State Park.

Anyway, I started running and right away was impressed by this section of trail. It's very serene and full of interesting sights. Right away you see an old farm. Then around another curve are two long stone chimneys rising with the trees.

At about a mile, the PATH crosses a long bridge over South Creek.

Because I only had a limited amount of time, I couldn't go any farther than my second cache which was near an old Civil War-era abandoned house. When I turned around to return back along the path, I got the great view of Panola Mountain that you see above.

I got a four-mile run out on a gloomy, overcast day that easily could have ended up being just a one-miler.

Time: 10:54 a.m.
Temp: 54 degrees
Gear: Long-sleeved T (yellow Cherry Blossom Run), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 27.

No comments: