Saturday, June 2, 2007

Off-road in the 'burbs

WESTERN SPRINGS, Ill. -- As soon as I landed, I came home and then changed out to take advantage of some of the Forest Preserve trails in the area. When I lived here, I built up my mileage on the Bemis Woods trails, even running in the snow. Once, I remember running out there in my Nike shoes made specifically for running in the snow and turning a corner and coming upon a deer. It was super-cool.

Today, I started out on the bike path that goes to Brookfield Zoo. But I saw a muddy path leading off and I couldn't resist. It was hot but nice to be under the tree canopy.

I came across a grassy field and could hear the cicadas' music. After a while I turned around and made my way back to the asphalt path and back to my car. Spent some time lovingly scraping the mud off the bottom of my Air Pegs with a stick. Prolly the first time those shoes have even seen mud.

No comments: