Saturday, June 16, 2007

Kula Post Office run

KULA, Hi. -- For nearly two decades, the run from my grandparents' house to the local post office has been a good test of my fitness.

Round-trip, it's 6.4 miles and winds down the highway of the dormant volcano that my grandparents' farm is on. Needless to say, it's a real chore to run back home, with two climbs that take me 7 and 6 minutes to run up.

But I've been running the course each trip that I was fit enough to run it (for example, did not run it in February 2006 when I was here last).

Getting down there was easy although there are two narrow spots of the highway that really make you watch for cars.

The first climb, from the post office, past Kula Elementary School, park and fire station, wasn't bad. Just trudging along.

But the very last part, up Polipoli Road, is a real challenge and treat. It winds its way up the hill at a pretty decent grade. You can't just blast your way up it, it's more of a technical climb. I split up the road on its three bridges and work my way to each one.

After I got home, I collapsed on the grass in front of my grandparents' home. Thankfully Hawaii doesn't have the bugs like back home and the air was nice and cool.

I'm glad I did the run this year but I think I'll pick other routes the rest of the trip!!

No comments: