Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Day 3,671: Best. Lasagna. Ever. (Run Fast. Eat Slow.)

It may not look like much but this lasagna from the new Run Fast Eat Slow cookbook is one of the best I've had/made.
The other day I was flipping through Run Fast. Eat Slow., the new cookbook by Olympian Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky and saw the wife made a comment above the recipe titled Marathon Lasagna.


This gave me pause. I'd made it the other day, for the first time, for her and my in-laws and it really was an experimental undertaking for me. For one, I can count on my fingers the number of times I've ever made lasagna myself and two, there was an ingredient in the recipe that made me wonder if I could pull it off: sweet potato.

The recipe is a nod to what Flanagan apparently likes to eat before running at an elite pace in the Boston Marathon, something that sounds a lot like a Thanksgiving meal I would eat in November instead of on the eve of running 26.2 miles on Patriot's Day.

But lasagna is lasagna and ever since Garfield declared his love for it when I was little, I've loved scarfing down pans of it myself.

It turns out this recipe is pretty easy. It uses ground turkey that you turn into a meat sauce, and then you layer the tray with no-boil noodles (really helpful for a lasagna neophyte like myself), a mixture of ricotta and mashed sweet potatoes, wilted spinach and of course, cheese. There are several layers and when I most recently made this dish on Monday I really was worried everything was going to spill over out of the pan and all over the oven. This didn't happen.

The result is something spectacular. The sweet potato and ricotta make it gooey and cheesy and delightful. It's going to be in the dinner rotation for months if not years to come and may become the reason I need to crank out a few more long runs every now and then.

Looking forward to trying more recipes from the pros!


No comments: