Saturday, January 7, 2017

Day 3,660: A little bit of ice with that run

Showing off the Yaktrax in Piedmont Park.
When this morning rolled around it didn't look too snowy but did look to be very icy. So I put on the Yaktrax that had been hanging in my garage for the last three years and headed to Piedmont Park.

I wore them over a pretty new pair of Saucony Zealot ISO 2s, which seemed to be much better than when I wore Nike's Air Pegasus shoe during the 2014 storm. I didn't feel the Yaktrax's metal coils as much, maybe because of Saucony's rubber tread.

Getting to the park was easy but the Park Avenue bridge was a little daunting, basically at that time of the morning it was just a big sheet of ice.

This iced over bridge was not what I'd planned for my short run this morning.
But I made my way carefully over it and did not even have the slightest hint of slipping. There were a few dog walkers and one runner I saw in the park. I'd planned on doing a longer run today but when I got to the 1-mile point I knew there wasn't anything I really needed to do today (besides continue the streak) and so I headed back home.

The roads and sidewalks got much better later in the day, even if it didn't get above 28 degrees today.

Time: 8:30 a.m.
Temp: 21 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long x2, mock technical turtleneck (Marine Corps Marathon '14), North Face windbreaker, Outdoor Research hat, gloves, Brooks Sherpa III running pants, shoes and traction control device as noted above.

No comments: