Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 1,849: Run in the rain; 500 miles

It had been raining pretty steadily the last few days and today was no different. The weather really reminded me of when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. Over there you had to get used to running in the rain -- or you didn't get to run.

At least over there, I had a pair of waterproof Nike running shoes that I'd bought at a Sports Authority in the Chicago suburbs.

I didn't have that kind of luxury today but I wanted to run in my regular running shoes anyway because logging about 1.8 miles today would mean I would put 500 miles on them -- that's usually when I retire them for a new pair of shoes.

It's taken me a while -- and lots of money -- trying different windbreakers to find out which one can protect me the most during steady rain. I finally found a good one -- a yellow Novarra windbreaker that is used for cycling -- it has a zipper pouch along the flat of the back.

Wore it today. My shoes got wet quickly and although it wasn't the worst thing in the world, my legs were kind of tired so I opted for a 2-mile loop instead of the 4.2 mile regular course that I have.

Although wet, my shoes were able to retire today knowing that they've put in 500 good miles of running the last few months.

Time: 11:00 a.m.
Temp: 49 degrees, light rain
Gear: Technical T, long (Atlanta Half Marathon '11), shorts, Novarra windbreaker, white Jager hat, Nike Air Pegasus+ 27/A.

No comments: