Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 1,584: The honesty of strangers

KULA, Hi. -- The day before our wedding we got a late start on the day. Namely, I wanted to do some geocaching and wasn't able to link up with the fiancee, who was staying at the Kula Lodge with her parents and sister.

But we finally did get a run in, on the road that leads to a ranch that Oprah owns. It's a pretty peaceful small road in the middle of really lush green grass. Some friendly horses there too. It's a pretty popular spot with local walkers. Yet it's still a decent workout with two good hills on the route and an elevation of about 2,850 feet.

When we finished with the run we got into my rental car which I parked at the Fong Store. We went back to my uncle's farm to shower and get ready. After a while I realized that my driver's license and credit card were not in the running shorts that I was wearing.

I was convinced they were somewhere in the house because I really thought I'd dropped them off after we got in the house.

This was not to be. So we got back in the car and went back to the Fong Store, more than an hour after we finished running.

The fiancee went inside and sure enough, someone had found the cards (I must have dropped them pulling out my rental car keys) and brought them to the store owner. They were waiting in an envelope for me. The owner had contacted the police for them to pick them up, thinking that somehow the person who lost them would eventually try to call around to see if they'd been turned in.

I'm grateful for the kindness of strangers and it's a good reminder for me to keep track of my things during a run.

No comments: