Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 1,551: Wilbur Farm Trail (Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve)


LITHONIA, Ga. -- Today's run took me to a spur of the Arabia Mountain PATH trail, the Flat Rock Spur off of Evans Mill Road.

Off of the bike path is a 1.6-mile trail that leads to an old farm that was purchased by the Nature Conservancy and added to the Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve.

You go on a trail that leads up a hill and then you're let out onto this green, grassy clearing with an old silver barn at the bottom of it.

It's a trail that easily I could see as part of a state park or even a national park but here it's a county gem that you can access for free.

The trail goes right by a ruined farmhouse (I'm a little surprised it isn't completely fenced off) and then an idyllic pond.

The Wilbur Farm Trail then connected with the Boomerang Trail that I passed yesterday on the PATH. I took it and then jogged back to the Flat Rock Spur.

No comments: