Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 1,508: The rewards of running

A full can of malt liquor that I saw at a fountain while running in Grant Park.

It always interests me to read about why other people run. It's a constant reminder that everyone is different.

I remember my high school cross country coach saying that he was never a competitive kind of person. It's a great state to be. It allows you to run because you want to and to run for your own reasons, not artificial ones or for anyone else's reasons.

My running started when I was in my sophomore year of high school. I wanted to be in better shape, so I started to run around this one mile exercise trail called a Parcourse.

Then as I got better at running, I would run from my parents' home to it, run around it and back, for 3.4 miles total.

Today it's hard to say why I keep running. I like the habit of it -- if I didn't have to run every day I wouldn't. And I'd be a lot heavier than I am now.

Sure it is nice to make a personal best time in a race or to win an award. But I almost never go into races thinking about this. Most times people are much faster than I am anyway. But the way that I run lets me run for the most part without injury. I get to run day after day after day and that makes me happy.

Just being out there is enough.

No comments: