Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 1,491: A geocaching long run

The location of the "Ever Faithful..." Virtual Geocache on the Georgia Tech campus.

About a month ago, I started geocaching because 1). It was free on my Palm Pre phone and 2). It seemed like a good way to motivate myself for running.

All month, I've gotten in a lot more mileage than I would have previously because of it. It's been helpful to get those staple 4-mile runs in and I've done a few 6- and 8-mile runs with it, too.

Running is a perfect fit for geocaching because you don't need to find a place to park your car and you don't look so conspicuous as you would if you were creeping up somewhere with your car.

Today's 14-mile run took me through several Atlanta neighborhoods, including Georgia Tech, where there were several great geocaches.

The run started out with light rain but by the first hour, I was able to put away my windbreaker and hat. It was cool out but definitely was a nice way to get out and learn a bit about the 'hood.

Time: 9:01 a.m.
Temp: 49 degrees, light rain
Gear: Tech T, short (Doug Kessler 10K '10), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/D.

No comments: