Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Oh, those hills

So I made the turn from North Highland onto the Freedom Park path and this younger guy on an Elite road bike flies by me.

Road bike vs. Trek hybrid. I thought I would give it a shot.

Before the overpass bridge I'm on his wheel and soon I'm asking him how far he's going this morning (6 miles).

We keep talking until the start of the giant double hill to Boulevard. I think of Miguel Indurain's giant jet engines for legs and then just keep pedaling.

My legs are quivering. For sure I'm going to get taken on this hill. To make things worse, I'm carrying four cans of Diet Cherry Coke in my bag along with a change of clothes.

But nothing. Maybe he saw I was on a Trek and thought he should take it a little easy.

It was a nice start to the work week and I'll take it as a sign that I need to start doing harder workouts -- both on bike and foot -- to get ready for the fall season.

No comments: