Monday, July 9, 2007

Ah, toasters

A quick rule of thumb: If a guy is coming up on you and he's traveling faster than you, DO NOT try to pedal harder and speed up. That makes you look like a rabbit trying to run away from a dog -- dog just tries harder.

This morning I quickly caught up with some guy on a Fuji road bike. I'm trying not to seem so aggressive so I'm just really coasting when I come by but all of a sudden he starts frantically pedaling.

It's silly because I've seen his cadence for a few minutes before I approached him -- pedal, coast, pedal pedal coast -- so it's a little silly.

It sort of took the dimensions of a Samurai movie as I approached -- I looked at all the variables. All things being equal, that road bike should be faster than my hybrid. Plus the guy looked younger than me. No helmet, though, so I pegged him for an amateur.

I turn it on and that's pretty much that.

No comments: