Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Day 3,153: A free 5K in Atlanta

Even though I went to the West Coast for a weekend, my sleep schedule is still not right -- I go to bed really early and wake up and, well, here I am. I miss already the lower humidity (it was only 38 percent in Portland on Saturday when I ran in the Beaverton AC 5K).

I've only done light running this week, my main excuse is that I'm resting up for Sunday's Hotlanta Half Marathon. I haven't run a half since March 2014 when I ran in the Publix Georgia Half Marathon. My training hasn't been perfect but I'm going into the race with a lot of confidence since I've posted my fastest year of race times for shorter distances.

Anyway, a few days ago I saw an email from the Rock'n'roll race series about a free 5K race that will be held downtown on Sunday, Sept. 13. The Humana Atlanta 5K is touted as a tuneup for the Rock'n'roll marathon series. I signed up since 1). it's free and 2). why not? It's a no T-shirt race but I imagine the cost to put on something like this is not zero since the race will be on streets downtown.

The only drawback would be running a 5K race that day would take away an easy 10 mile run I have on schedule for the 13.1 Atlanta half on Oct. 4. And subsequent runs on schedule if I get too sore because of pushing myself like I usually do during the race.

The other neat thing was that this week I got in the mail my Team Beef race reimbursement for the Vinings Downhill 5K. It's neat that it really works and I'm glad to support a local campaign.

No comments: