Friday, May 2, 2014

Day 2,679: Skechers Go Run 2 road test

 I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground, an extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect. - Days of Thunder
Even before the publicity that came to the Skechers brand after Meb Keflezighi won this year's Boston Marathon, I'd been looking at this shoe since it received great reviews in Runners World.

And of course, when I found a pair in my size on Amazon.com for $39 instead of the list price of $80, it was a done deal. I went ahead and ordered them.

When I got them they were extremely light and low to the ground. They would be excellent for loafing around in if I didn't run.

Yesterday I gave my Nike Air Pegasus+ 30s (310.51 miles) a rest and broke out these shoes. I was so unsure about the Skechers that I left all the tags on just in case I needed to return them.

Right away you could tell how light they are (6.6 ounces for men's size 9, according to the box). In contrast, my Nikes weigh 10.8 ounces for size 10.

I felt incredibly fast in them and my 6.05-mile run was at the same pace as my 6-mile run the day before. Only in this case I was pushing an extra 50 pounds in a running stroller.

It reminded me a lot of the running shoe version of the mini-skirt -- just enough of everything in the right place.

This is an interesting shoe. I might travel with it and see how it is on non-practice runs. Who knows, maybe come marathon training time in June or July I will take it on a long run and it could even see a race in its future.

No comments: