Saturday, December 14, 2013

Day 2,539: Inman Frosty 5K


After living in Atlanta for more than 10 years, I don't think I've ever run in a race in which it actively was raining.

Until today, when we ran in the Inman Frosty 5K. But it was more like rainy and frosty. I brought out my old Nike Air Pegasus+ 29s from the donation bin because I hate having to wait for my daily running shoes to dry after getting them soaked (takes a few days).

We ran in this race last year and back then I noted some problems with their check-in and course. This year there were improvements -- perhaps because of the rain, they had all of the check-in inside the school's gym. They had more than two spots to get your race bib, which was great.

It was nice to warm up a little bit in the gym, although our stroller (and probably us, too) was leaking water on the gym floor!

We all made our way outside and the start was similar to what I noted last year. We staged on the sidewalk and on the road.

Only this time I think because of the rain it didn't seem to be that big of a deal. It wasn't long until the gun sounded and we were off.

Although the rain was starting to soak through my windbreaker, the temperature felt perfect. When we were about a mile into the race, my shorts were totally soaked -- it felt like I was swimming!

We took it easy in the race and the pace seemed pretty leisurely. The race comes and goes on the Beltline but this year it didn't seem to be much of a problem with runners being in each other's way.

When we came off the Beltline onto Ponce de Leon Place I couldn't tell if the end of the course had moved from the intersection with Virginia Avenue.

But it didn't ... and we finished the race. I ran it 1:10 slower than last year but I think the weather had a bunch to do with it.

In any rate, it was cool to support a community group and the T-shirt was nice, too!

Time: 10 a.m.
Temp: 46 degrees, rain
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long (Locomotive Half Marathon), Nike windbreaker (red), shorts, Atlanta Braves hat, Nike Air Pegasus+ 29/A.

No comments: