Thursday, October 31, 2013

Day 2,495: Minor mystery solved!

Today was the first day since the Atlanta 10-Miler in which my legs didn't hurt when I ran.

I was pretty surprised at how long it took to recover from the very hilly run, especially since I thought I would be in decent running shape for it.

I was worried at the start of what would be a nearly 2-mile run to close out 100 miles for the month (for the second month in a row) because my right foot started hurting. It was the first time since the race that I wore my new running shoes.

Immediately after the race my right foot was really sore, almost bruised. I took off my shoe while I waited to get my VW Triple Peach medal and then gingerly walked to the sidewalk. I still had about 2.4 miles to walk home and I wasn't even sure about walking 5 feet!

Eventually I was able to walk a little, then a little more. Several people during this walk asked me if I was ok. But I managed and returned home.

It serves me right, since I'd only run 15 miles before the race in those shoes. In the past, it would take me 70 miles to break in a new pair of shoes to get my feet to stop hurting. In recent years, I felt like the manufacturing process was better and it was easier for people to break in shoes. Now I think I was just lucky for a few years.

Anyway, we rolled into Orme Park to play and I see this grandpa with his grandson, who is holding a homemade guitar. I'd just read in the neighborhood listserv that a child had misplaced this and parents were looking for it.

But it was impossible to explain this to the old man since he spoke no English! But eventually the kid handed me the guitar and I got it to people who knew the parents who made the request.

Mystery solved.

Time: 10 a.m.
Temp: 62 degrees
Gear: T-shirt, short (Be the One run, white), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30.

No comments: