Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 1,941: Kiernan's longest stroller run

This morning baby K. was even more fussy than normal so I decided to take him out on my regular run so the wife could try to sleep a little.

It turned out the 4.21-mile run was his longest run in a stroller. It definitely was the longest stroller run for me.

I found that pushing a stroller isn't exactly easy work. I seemed to be constantly pushing down on the handlebars, making my balance off. It also really gives your legs a workout, as you don't have the benefit of having your arms push for you.

Near the end of the run, I could tell my legs were getting spent on one of the last hills of the course.

And even though we'd run with him in a stroller in the Beat the Streets for Little Feet 5K earlier this month, I wasn't ready for the instability that running with a stroller can bring.

This model of stroller, the BOB Revolution SE, has a front wheel that turns for easier turning. They say that for running it should be locked in a fixed position. We never had any problems with it, so we kept it turning.

In the middle of the run, I was running down a hill and thought I would just keep up with the stroller's speed instead of trying to slow it. Somehow the front wheel must have turned a little and it was all I could do to keep the stroller and me from wiping out on the pavement.

Later on I tried to lock the wheel in place but it didn't seem like it could.I also found that while obviously tight turns are a challenge in keeping the stroller from tipping, uneven pavement can cause a problem. If the pavement caused one of the wheels to go up in the air, trying to control it with just two wheels can be difficult.

Yet in the end, it still was a careful run and now that I know these performance factors with the stroller future runs can be easier -- and safer.

Time: 9:40 a.m.
Temp: 49 degrees
Gear: Long-sleeve T (Braves red), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 28.

No comments: