Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 1,893: Missed by minutes

The registration for the Marine Corps Marathon opened today but I forgot about it until I was at work. By then, it had been open for less than 3 hours.

When I remembered and tried to click on the link, it said it was sold out. I thought it was some kind of malfunction on Active.com because the marathon website still said it was only 98 percent full.

Shortly thereafter the website updated saying it was full. It filled up more than 30,000 spots in less than 3 hours!

From what I saw, the marathon was a good deal -- only $92. That's about the price you'd pay to get into a Rock'n'Roll half marathon event.

The Bank of America Chicago Marathon costs about $140 or so. But it takes about a week for those 45,000 spots to fill up. I'd actually passed up on registering for the Chicago Marathon because I thought I would try the Marine Corps Marathon.

With a baby on the way in April, doing an October marathon isn't really too likely. But I might have signed up.

I'll just have to keep my eye on the calendar next year.

No comments: