Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 1,437: Running at 4,300 feet

ZION NATIONAL PARK, Utah -- Halfway through the Grotto Trail, I notice something grazing in the field.

It's a deer. And not one deer but he has a friend with him. And three more a few meters away near some trees.

It's moments like these that I love running -- and especially running on trails. I quickly exited my Nike+ iPod workout session to try to record them using my iPod's video camera.

After a few minutes, I ambled away down the trail. At 4,300 feet, the altitude is twice that of Las Vegas, where I ran in the Rock'n'Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon a few days prior. And more than four times the 1,000 foot elevation of Atlanta.

I've found that during the short runs I've done in Zion the last two days that it takes a little bit of effort for me to start out but later on I'm running fine. This is probably the highest altitude (nearly 1,000 feet higher than the 3,400 feet elevation of Kula, Maui) that I've run in since this streak started more than three years ago.

Time: 7:28 a.m.
Temp: 33 degrees
Gear: Tech T long (Nike grey), Tech T short (Charles Harris 10K 2009), running pants, Marmot windbreaker, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/D.

No comments: