Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 1,408: The Georgia Half Marathon course

After running over the weekend in temperatures that were in the low 30s, the weather returned with a treat -- temperatures in the 60s.

I woke up late to fully take advantage of this and I'd been thinking of doing the Georgia half marathon course for a while. In the past, I'd done the greatest hits of it, mainly not running up the hill at Freedom Parkway and also back along North Avenue and not running on Piedmont all the way to North Avenue and up the challenging Central Ave. hills.

Today I was feeling pretty good about it, so I headed off, catching the course at Virginia Ave. and Park Place and running through the park.

The one thing about the warmer weather was that I got dehydrated pretty easily. I drank a bunch near Edgewood and Piedmont avenues and then again when I stopped back at my place to check on the cats at mile 12.8.

On the way back, I had a pretty nice sprint.

I'd say that most of the hills that I used to fear on the course are no longer a problem.

Later on, however, after the route, my legs felt sore, probably because I decided to go light on hills when I trained for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.

But now I've decided to add hill training in earnest to my courses for hopefully an enjoyable Thanksgiving Atlanta Half Marathon.

Time: 12:04 p.m.
Temperature: 64 degrees
Gear: Tech T, short (Big Peach Sizzler '09), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/D.

No comments: