Monday, September 15, 2008

An unfriendly sort

It used to be that commuter cyclists were so few in number in the city that it was common to talk to one another.

I guess with gas above $4.25 a gallon, things have changed. Even unfriendly people feel like they're forced to ride.

Once again, as I was on N. Highland on my way to work, some cyclist passes me- this time some chick on a road bike in a messenger bag.

She doesn't say anything, as do I, as we're both on the sidewalk at Ponce. When the light turns, she bolts ahead.

I keep pace but follow respectfully. If she turns onto my homecourt -- the Freedom Park PATH -- I will have no choice but to leave her in the dust.

She doesn't -- but damn. It's on. You're tagged as unfriendly and I will have no qualms to pass you on the street.

No comments: