Thursday, January 10, 2008

Kitty, ready trail runners

TUNICA, Miss. -- I turned the corner on the muddy trail and came across a deer about 40 yards away. Soon it was two, three, and by the time the last white tail bobbed out of sight, there had been six of them.

A storm had passed through in the early morning. I waited it out and then drove over to the Riverpark, since I didn't have a poker tourney I planned to play today.

When I drove up to the parking lot, I noticed an old muddy road with a birdhouse tacked up near the road. I made my way back over there, but decided the road/trail was too muddy for my regular running shoes.

So I went to Plan B.

I always carry a pair of old Adidas Trail Response trail running shoes in the trunk of my car, mainly because there's no need for them in heavily-concreted Atlanta. I used to run trails when I lived in Arkansas, and briefly when I first moved to Georgia five years ago. (I was heavily tempted to break those shoes out and run when I was in Blairsville last Friday).

I ran along the old road, slushing around rain puddles. I saw another wooden bridge and ran to it, thinking it was for the horse trail nearby. I ran to it but it was actually the Riverpark trail. I wandered up off of it and that's where I saw the deer, and a huge snakeskin that had been discarded long ago.

I ran back to the road and found a large green field that I had seen alongside the Riverpark. I thought it was grass, but it turned out it was some kind of huge field of clover. Bright green like some kind of HD commercial.

I ran back on the trail to get back to the car.

It was nice to walk through the lobby of the hotel wearing shorts and mud all over the bottom of my legs, shoes and socks. A sign of a good workout.

No comments: