Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Day 3,691: A gait analysis and finally wearing Newtons


I had some time on my hands today so I popped into Highland Runners, a local running store that specializes in selling Newton running shoes.

While I'm used to just going into stores and ordering what I need (I usually do a lot of research beforehand), the sales guy asked if I'd ever had a gait analysis.

Since I never had one, and I had a few more minutes to kill, I went ahead and did it. Basically I ran barefoot on a treadmill for a few minutes while he took video of my stride with an iPad. Then he showed me the angles of my stride -- possible minor supination, or my foot rolling outward during a stride.

I don't think there were any surprises here. I've been running for 30 years and I wear very neutral shoes -- I've even mentioned here that most of my running shoes show very little wear after 500 miles of running.

So he outfitted me in a pair of Newton Gravity V shoes, basically the shoe I'd researched would help me. The shoes have rubber "lugs" under the midfoot and they are to help guide your feet where to strike when you run. You replace the shoe when the lugs are worn down and he said they could go for 500 or more miles.

So I'm pretty excited about trying them out. I've been looking for another low drop shoe that is a little more cushioned than what I already have.

Below are a few pictures from Saturday's Tartan Trot:



No comments: