Saturday, November 19, 2016

Day 3,611: A nice run with Mizuno's Wave Hitogami

Stopping on N. Decatur during a 5-mile run to show off these new kicks.
"You'll feel the road," the Mizuno rep warned me as I selected the Wave Hitogami as the shoe I would get for road testing a bunch of different running shoes last week at the Atlanta Track Club's office.

I did my homework and these shoes and the Wave Ekiden were my top choices of the bunch, mainly because I've shifted to low-drop, lightweight shoes since training for the Marine Corps Marathon in 2014 and haven't looked back.

The Hitogamis didn't have that low of a drop (9 mm) but I felt it was worth a try. They came in the mail yesterday and I figured I would try them out on an easy 5-mile run to Emory's campus and back.

It didn't take too long to like what I felt on my feet. The shoes were light and offered good road protection for my midfoot strike and the heel. They had adequate protection against rocks in the road (something I never liked about my Saucony Kinvara 5s) and were not too light, as I've since concluded about the Nike Free RN Distance shoes that I've been training with.

Up and down hills, along concrete and asphalt, on grass, through turns and stops, I really liked what I felt. If only the shoe company's testers had asked me about this shoe!

I'll probably wear them in a 5K next to see how they perform at faster speeds.

Time: 7:40 a.m.
Temp: 55 degrees
Gear: T-shirt, short (Adams Realtor Run 5K), shorts, Mizuno Wave Hitogami.

No comments: