Saturday, November 10, 2012

Day 2,141: Yogli Mogli 5K

It's not every day that you get free frozen yogurt after a race.

Today we ran in the first Yogli Mogli 5K, benefitting the Make-A-Wish Foundation, outside the Emory campus.

We were lured in by the complimentary yogurt after the race and the event did not disappoint. It also happened to be the first race we've done without the little one in the stroller, since my in-laws coincidentally were here this weekend!

So we both got ready for a faster race. What I remember about this race is that almost immediately you get some pretty decent hills, with the course spilling onto North Decatur, up Lullwater (like in the full ING Georgia Marathon course), but cutting over onto the By Way and then to Oxford before going back over North Decatur.

The finish is a screaming one, nearly all downhill.

Part of the way through the race the bottoms of my feet felt sore, something that may have to do with the impact of the race and the age of my shoes, which have more than 400 miles on them.

At the end of the race the muscles in front of my shins were sore, something that nearly always attests to hills and not being used to racing.

But we both had fun. We learned almost immediately that the wife placed second in her age group. Only later on in the afternoon did I look up the results, finding out that I also placed second in my age group -- and was beat out for first by a mere 13 seconds.

I guess that's something to always think about, that first place might never be too far away.

All in all, it was a decent race in a beautiful neighborhood and one that I'll do again.

Time: 8 a.m.
Temp: 45 degrees
Gear: Long-sleeve T (Brookfield Zoo Run Run), shorts Nike Air Pegasus+ 28/A.

No comments: