Saturday, August 2, 2008

Old Soldiers' Day race (30th anniversary)

ALPHARETTA, Ga. -- Although I didn't want to get up at 5 a.m., I made my way out to the Old Soldiers' Day race up here in the suburbs.

I parked on the Wills Road side, thinking (correctly) that when I wanted to leave Old Milton Parkway would still be blocked off.

I liked how the community center had great (large) restroom facilities.

We started out and I couldn't tell where the starting line was - my fault for not scoping it out earlier.

After Mile 1 there is a nice sizeable hill and I was able to aggressively attack it. I got past my slow start by dropping Mile 2 by about a minute less, attacking a second hill there.

But by Mile 3 I could tell that this rolling course would not be what I would need to qualify for the Peachtree, especially in the heat. So I slowed it up and went out the 5K exit instead of looping around a second time for the 10K.

Of course, the fact that it's a double loop allowed me to do that.

I really liked the race though. It was a good warmup for other 10Ks I'll do later on this year and hopefully when it's a lot cooler. For now I think if I increase my mileage I'll be all set to qualify.

No comments: