Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The dry-pavement rule

There's a 30 percent chance of rain today, especially during the time that I would be returning home but I still pulled out the bike and rode to work.

I have a "dry pavement rule" for biking to work -- if the pavement is dry before I leave, I'll go, even if rain is forecast for the day. I don't care so much if I get wet riding home, since I can just shower and change at home. I just don't want to come to work looking like a wet rat.

I have misgivings if it's nice during the day and I drive to work. Plus I've seen several occasions where a "70 percent" forecast of rain means nothing at all.

During the ride in, the air was pretty cool and nice. It was still dark. One runner was already plowing down North Highland.

There's no, or little, traffic at 5 a.m. and I never have to worry about getting a good place to tether the bike at work. Now that gas is nearly $4/gallon, the small bike rack at work is always full.

Last night I made my way through Piedmont Park and the Botanical Garden for my daily run. I am glad that Maui (and the higher elevation?) has been an aid in training and I hope to continue longer distances.

No comments: