Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 1,173: A new watch and the Omni for race day

I used the Hammer of Dawn today on a very short grocery run this morning, I think I just have to make sure that it is fully charged -- and properly charged each time.

But because of its hiccups, I decided to keep my order for the Garmin Forerunner 405, a much sleeker and fancier watch. While it's charging right now I can't wait to use it.

Yesterday I made the decision to do something I hadn't done in two previous ING Georgia races -- I'm going to stay at the race hotel, the Omni Hotel at CNN Center on Saturday.

I decided to do it so I wouldn't have to guess what time to drive to work, which is a block away from the race start, in advance of streets closing. Last year I drove there two hours before the race started and then camped out in the office until about an hour before. When I finally went down for the race it was freezing.

So now I'll get there the night before and won't have to worry about roadblocks. This will also give me the maximum amount of sleep before the race and I can just pop down and start the race.

The next thing is that if the gf runs in the half marathon, our finishing times could be at least two hours apart. This will let her go up to the room and relax, shower and change before I finish.

Third thing is it'll be fun. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel in a city where I actually live. Maybe the downtown perspective will be a little different.

No comments: