Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day 2,932: The 20-degree gear test


When I went to the expo for the Marine Corps Marathon on Oct. 25, I wasn't exactly sure what I would do with the race shirt that I received.

Actually it was a technical mock turtleneck, I hear in keeping with the service branch's tradition (I've imagined that they figure if they are giving out a piece of clothing, it might as well be something useful to someone in the armed services). It looked unusually thick and it would be safe to say it is the first ever mock turtleneck I've ever had in my running gear arsenal.

But this winter, it's been extremely helpful, especially on a 20-degree day like this morning. I wore two layers of long-sleeved technical T-shirts underneath and my Brooks Spartan II running pants. It was good enough throughout the entire 5-mile run.

Previously the coldest I've worn it was during 35-degree weather, just wearing a single long-sleeve technical T-shirt underneath.


No comments: