Sunday, July 26, 2009

CTS 938: Sneakin' over a new bridge

This afternoon, after I procrastinated all day, I decided to run to Ikea. I hadn't been there in a long time and a 7-mile run to start off the week sounded very appealing.

When I started down Virginia Ave., some dude passed me immediately. I wasn't really planning on giving chase because 1). I just started my run and 2). I had a lot of extra stuff on me -- my bottle of water and extra shirt.

So I played it cool but as soon as he turned down a side street he stopped. So I took chase after him and passed him and then went about another 50 feet before looping back around and rejoining Virginia Ave.

This brought me on the front side of Piedmont Park. So I just ran up 10th Street to Peachtree and then turned and ran until 14th Street.

At 14th Street and West Peachtree, I noticed something strange -- it looked like the 14th Street bridge, which has been closed forever, was open. It wasn't open to cars, but still was completed. It had a lot of construction junk still on it.

So I ran down that way, and sure enough it was open. I ran across it and up a huge Category 1 hill to State Street, where I turned to go down to Atlantic Station. I made my way to Ikea, where I gladly took advantage of their cold water fountain.

The way back was more of the same although this time I took 14th Street straight to Piedmont Park and cut through it. I went on Orme to give me a slightly longer run (I think the 14th Street bridge makes the run not quite 7 miles round trip). I did an extra loop around Lanier to make 7 miles.

Time: 5 p.m.
Temp: 91.5 degrees
Gear: CFSST (ING Georgia Half Marathon '09), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D3.
Drink: water, 500mL (carried, not used).

No comments: