Wednesday, June 3, 2009

CTS 885.5: Surgeon General's 5K

The Surgeon General's 5K was my fastest 5K in 5 years, dating back to the March 20, 2004 Downtown DASH for Diabetes.

It was also my second run of the day. I wasn't sure I'd be able to run in it so I did a run earlier in the morning just to make sure I'd have a run in if I didn't race.

I started out like usual- 3/4 in the back of the pack and not sure how fast the race would be. The good thing was it was in Piedmont Park, which is about as close to home court as a cat can have and, incidentally, part of the route I chose to run this morning.

In 2007, I participated in another public health run here, the EIS Prediction Run.

I just kept up a nice pace, knowing exactly where I was. I didn't want to run too fast because of the Va-Hi Summerfest 5K this weekend.

But I kept running, and passing a bunch of public health people. I could tell many of them weren't used to Atlanta's infamous humidity. Many of them were using their 'burners early, which meant I would just keep my pace and eventually pass them.

Even under the last 1/2 mile, I kept telling myself, 'No burners, no burners.' I did give in at the very last moment trying to catch up with the last person in front of me.

It was a strong finish and a great one. It's also telling that I'm really close to my great level of fitness 5 years ago.

I wore my old D2s because I had already worn the D3s earlier in the day and my feet felt fine.

Temp: 86 degrees
Gear: SST (Levi), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D2.

No comments: