Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Back to the church

KULA, Hawaii -- I didn't get to run until late in the afternoon after getting up early to see the Haleakala sunrise, taking a long nap to compensate for getting up so early, and doing lots of errands with my mom to get ready for grandpa's Thursday funeral service.

But even at 4 p.m., it was pretty cool out. It is Kula, after all.

I went back to my new fave Lower Kula Road run, taking every chance to look out over the mountain at the ocean below. I really enjoyed being on the little-used road. The last two days I've passed walkers, so it must be a decent place for exercise for the locals.

This time around, I really felt low on sugar -- a rarity for me, so I stopped at the Morihara Store for a can of Hawaii Orange-Passion fruit juice and a candy bar. Then made my way to the Holy Ghost Church -- since it was the afternoon, it was open and I slipped a couple of dollars through the donation slot since I have been grateful for the restrooms there.

Made my way back. It was a little harder, my legs felt like they didn't have any juice in them but it looks like I maintained my downhill pace.

Running near-daily six mile runs at 3K elevation has to be good for the Peachtree coming up. Yay!

No comments: